Crystal Lake Park District  •  One East Crystal Lake Ave.  •  Crystal Lake, IL 60014  •  815.459.0680  •  crystallakeparks.org
Follow Crystal Lake Park District on Facebook!
Return to Homepage
Contact us via email!
Crystal Lake Park District - An IAPD/IPRA Distinguished Agency
Weekly Feature!

An evening of music and mystery at Park Place! Park Place presents the Rick Embach Duo and Joe Diamond-Magician & Mindreader. Saturday, January 24, 7-10 pm at Park Place. $20/ticket (includes 1 beverage). Purchase tickets in advance at Crystal Lake Park District Administrative Office or at the door.


Rainout Line
(815) 410-4475
Save some time,
view on-line or
download the free app!

Colonel Palmer House

Colonel Palmer HouseLocated at:

660 East Terra Cotta Avenue
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
(815) 477-5873
Palmerhouse@crystallakeparks.org

Colonel Palmer House Hours of Operation

Tuesdays, 3 pm-7 pm

Thursdays, 11 am- 4 pm

Fridays, 11 am-4 pm

Open the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month

If you are planning to do research, it is best to call ahead to make certain someone will be available to assist you.

Please note: On Dec. 2, Colonel Palmer House will be closing at 5 pm for an event. On Dec. 4,11, 18, 2014 and Jan. 8, 15 and 22, 2015, Colonel Palmer House will open at 11:15 am due to staff training.

Colonel Palmer House closed on November 25, December 26 & 30 and January 2 & 3.

 

Scout Programs and Group Tours by appointment.

Crystal Lake Historical Archives may be researched by appointment Monday-Thursday.

Call (815) 477-5873 or email to schedule an appointment or tour.

 

Colonel Palmer HouseHistory

Gustavus A. Palmer and his wife Henrietta arrived in McHenry County from Nunda, New York by covered wagon circa 1841. As early pioneers to the area they purchased land from the Federal Government to start their homestead. The Colonel, as he was called by his neighbors, would eventually acquire over 300 acres of property. As a successful farmer he hired Andrew Jackson Simons, a local architect, to build this Greek Revival and Federalist style brick home in 1858.

Located on its original site at the corner of Route 176 and Terra Cotta Road in Crystal Lake, the Palmer House was donated to the City of Crystal Lake in 1979 and maintained by the Colonel Palmer House Restoration Association. In 1998, the Crystal Lake Park District entered into a 99-year lease for the house and two acres of property.

The building is now open to the public for tours, special events, and research of local history. The home contains the office of the Crystal Lake Historical Society who maintains records of Crystal Lake history and collections of local artifacts.

Colonel Palmer HouseThe Landmark Status

In 1985, the Colonel Palmer House was entered in the National Register of Historic Places. It remains the only building on the National Register in Crystal Lake. The house was also granted Landmark Status by the City of Crystal Lake Historic Preservation Commission.

Architectural Distinction

The Colonel Palmer House typifies the design style of homes built during the second quarter of the 19th century and is based on the Neo-Classical Revival style. It features are comprised of elements which include both Federal and Greek Revival styles of architecture.



produced by
Visionary Webworks
~ eParkDistrict.com