May 19 is Opening Day for the NEW Crystal Lake Park District Main Beach Playground - 5.19.18
Time: 9:00 AM
Location: Crystal Lake Park District Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Drive, Crystal Lake
After 8 months of construction, the Main Beach renovation and playground project is complete. The new playground will open for play on Saturday, May 19 at 9 am. Main Beach hours are 9 am-dusk, Monday-Sunday.
In addition, an official Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the new playground will be held at the Crystal Lake Beach Bash on Saturday, June 23. The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will take place at 10 am and will be followed by cake in the pavilion.
The Crystal Lake Beach Bash (9 am-7 pm) is a FREE event that features food vendors, beer garden, park district program demonstrations (Zumba, MixxedFit, Hapkido, Baton, Dance, Tennis), the Nature Center Climbing Wall, Kids Baggo Tournament, Wake Surf Lessons, Water Dodgeball, Lifeguard Games, Sand Castle Building, Scavenger Hunt, Glowby the Bubbler, music at the band shell by Hello Weekend Band and other music by Island Music Trio. In addition, there will be half price boat rentals and raffle drawings throughout the day.
The Main Beach renovation project was partially funded by an Open Space Land Acquisition and Development grant through the State of Illinois. The major components of the project include:
- Replacement of a 23 year old wooden playground that has outlasted its useful life.
- Replacement and relocation a 50 year old boat rental facility and marina piers.
- Enlarging the sand beach to include a shaded children's sand play area. This new feature complements the more active playground with toddler oriented features.
- Addition of a sheltered picnic area comprised of a shade sail system centrally located between the playground and the beach.
- Addition of a permanent baggo court.
- New sidewalks and lighted pathways.
- New landscaping to complement our current tree replacement plan for the entire park
- Handicap accessibility throughout the park.
If you have any questions, please contact Ann Viger, Director of Planning and Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 779-994-4239.