To wisely use, recycle, and conserve our resources to build a better future within our park district and community.
The Crystal Lake Park District has adopted the following strategic areas to stay at the forefront of environmental concerns:
- Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Education and Public Information
- Human Health
Recycling and Waste Reduction
For more than 80 years the Crystal Lake Park District has been providing our community with programs, parks and open space to make our lives better. Countless hours have been dedicated to providing the residents of Crystal Lake with the highest possible quality of life. We ask for your help as we continue to improve our efforts to make the world a better place for us and future generations.
When visiting Main Beach, West Beach, Veteran Acres and Lippold Parks, you will see one bin only for aluminum, glass and plastic. All other items should be placed in a trash receptacle.
A REMINDER FROM THE CLPD ENVIRONMENTAL COMMITTEE
The following items are allowed to be placed in the recycling bins located inside of park district buildings:
- Newspaper, copy paper
- Corrugated cardboard
- Metal cans
- Plastics coded 1-7
- Glass bottles and jars
- Tin and aluminum
- Junk Mail
- Telephone books
- Styrofoam, including packing peanuts
- 6 pack rings
- Oil containers
- Grocery bags
- Plastic bags, bubble wrap
THANK YOU FOR RECYCLING!
Education and Public Information
The Crystal Lake Park District Nature Center serves as the primary provider of environmental education throughout the district. Open year-round, the Nature Center provides a unique opportunity for young and old alike to experience nature through progressive programs, hands-on activities, seasonal exhibits and volunteer opportunities. Demonstration gardens that include native landscaping and rain barrels are used to educate visitors.
To improve the efficiency of existing buildings, energy saving devices are used to replace outdated switches, appliances, lights, hand driers and other items. When remodeling or constructing new buildings, green technologies and building products are preferred. Our newest building, a restroom in Veteran Acres Park, is constructed to utilize photovoltaic power for electricity.
The Crystal Lake Park District discontinued the use of fertilizer and herbicide for general turf care more than ten years ago. Currently, only athletic fields are treated with fertilizer (non-phosphorous) and herbicide. Spot application of herbicide by licensed individuals is done as needed to control weeds in playgrounds, along fence lines and in landscape beds. Biological and cultural weed control practices are used as much as possible.
To demonstrate our commitment to reducing the use of products that pose a hazard to human health and the environment, all of the cleaning products, hand soap, floor finish and paper products used in Crystal Lake Park District facilities are Green Seal Certified. Dust mops and paper towels used for cleaning have been replaced with micro fiber products, vacuums are CRI approved and HEPA filtered, and ready-to-dispense cleaning products make our bottles refillable.
Be Clean, Be Green, Be Healthy!
Oak tree seedlings are planted with the aid of volunteers to begin reforestation of natural areas.
Natural Area Workdays
Volunteers join together to eliminate invasive species from Sterne's Woods and the Wingate Prairie.
Clean Up Day
A yearly community wide clean up co-sponsored with the Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce.
As the owner and caretaker of Crystal Lake, the Crystal Lake Park District performs a variety of management tasks each year, including water quality sampling, hydrology monitoring, aquatic macrophyte sampling, aquatic weed control, and fishery management. In addition to Crystal Lake, the park district manages ponds and streams in twelve other parks.
Natural Areas Management
The Crystal Lake Park District owns and maintains two Illinois Nature Preserves, the 185 acres Sterne's Woods and Fen and the 40 acre Wingate Prairie in Veteran Acres Park. More than 300 additional acres of natural areas are also located in the district, including Veteran Acres Park, Lippold Park, Willows Edge Park and Prairie Ridge Conservation Area.
- Oct 02 Park District Invites Residents to Attend State of the Lake Meeting on October 30
- Oct 02 Drop-In Tot Open Gym Returns for Fall 2017 Program Season at the Crystal Lake Park District
- Oct 02 October 14: Adult Line Dance Party -Learn the basics with an introductory lesson-
- Sep 23 Fetzner Park Riparian Restoration Project Meeting Scheduled for October 5
- Sep 18 Volunteer Work Day Scheduled for September 24 at Sterne’s Woods & Fen
- Sep 11 Kids are Welcome in the Kitchen at the Crystal Lake Park District
- Sep 11 FREE Family Fun at Black Diamond Kite Fest
- Sep 11 East Coast Swing is the Featured Dance for Upcoming Saturday Night Dance for Adults - Program includes complimentary dance le
- Sep 11 Crystal Lake Park District Challenges Park District Residents to Participate in the Haunted Home Decorating Contest
- Sep 11 Are you a Puzzle Pro? Put a Team Together and Test Your Jigsaw Skills Against the Best at Puzzle Palooza!
- Sep 11 Music Entertainment on the Schedule at Park Place in October
- Sep 08 Businesses and Organizations Needed To Participate in Crystal Lake Park District Truck or Treat
- Sep 08 Crystal Lake Park District Begins Fetzner Park Riparian Restoration Project
- Sep 06 Main Beach Bricks Available for Pick Up NOW
- Aug 30 Home School Expo at Park Place Cancelled
- Aug 30 Crystal Lake Park District Hosts 21st Annual Crystal Lake Half Marathon -Volunteer Help Needed-
- Aug 30 Wanna Get a Little Nutty? Collect acorns on behalf of the Crystal Lake Park District Environmental Committee!
- Aug 18 Businesses and Organizations Needed To Participate in Crystal Lake Park District Truck or Treat
- Aug 17 Volunteer Work Day Scheduled for August 27 at Sterne’s Woods & Fen
- Aug 17 Lunch and Learn Series Returns to Colonel Palmer House for Fall Program Season
- Aug 17 Ol’ Time Wagon Rides a Fall Tradition at Sterne’s Woods
- Aug 17 Main Beach Renovation Project Update for Playground Brick Owners
- Aug 16 Girls After School Basketball League (Ages 9-11) A Crystal Lake Park District Fall Program Highlight
- Aug 16 Crystal Lake Park District Seeks Vendors for Home School Expo at Park Place
- Aug 16 Working Parents Have Childcare Options with Crystal Lake Park District Extended Time Programs for 2017-2018 School Year
- Aug 04 Crystal Lake Park District Fall Program Brochure to Be Mailed To Residents
- Aug 01 Crystal Lake Park District Offers Chance to Try a Fitness Class for Free in August
- Jul 31 Crystal Lake Open to Motorized Watercraft
- Jul 28 Crystal Lake Park District Announces Facility Closings Due to Flooding
- Jul 28 Crystal Lake Park District Announces Appointment of Park Board Commissioner, Julie Martens
- Jul 26 Crystal Lake Closed to Motorized Watercraft
- Jul 24 Crystal Lake Park District 2017-2022 Strategic Plan Approved by Board of Commissioners
- Jul 20 Open Water Swim Race CANCELLED
- Jul 17 Aquatic Herbicide Treatments of Non-Native Species on Crystal Lake on July 18
- Jul 17 Volunteer Work Day Scheduled for July 23 at Sterne’s Woods & Fen
- Jul 11 Free Summer Sundays at Colonel Palmer House continues on July 16 With ‘CPH Country Fair’
- Jul 11 Food Vendors Named for Blast on the Beach
- Jul 11 Still Time to Register for Crystal Lake Park District Lifeguard Training Class
- Jul 10 West Bay Herbicide Treatment Scheduled for July 11
- Jul 10 July 12 is ‘Everyday Hero Day’ at Crystal Lake Park District Summer Camp
- Jun 21 Special Event Dates Affecting Main Beach Boat Launch Key Card Holders
- Jun 21 Craft Fair Vendors Needed at Crystal Lake Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram/Crystal Lake Park District Blast on the Beach
- Jun 17 Crystal Lake Park District Partners with Black Diamond to Host Kids’ Party in the Park
- May 25 Swim Lessons at Main Beach with the Crystal Lake Park District Swim School
- May 24 Lippold Park Family Golf Center Offers Boomers Golf Drop-In Special
- May 24 Crystal Castle and Acorn Alley Splash Pad Hours of Operation
- May 23 Main and West Beaches Open on May 27
- May 23 Exciting New Additions to Concerts in the Park Series
- May 23 Free Summer Sundays at Colonel Palmer House begins on June 4
- May 23 Enroll Now for Summer Fitness and Yoga Classes at Crystal Lake Park District
- Apr 26 Crystal Lake Main Beach Passes on Sale May 8
- Apr 25 Garden Plots at Hill Farm Acres
- Apr 25 Summer Camp registration now open at Crystal Lake Park District
- Apr 15 Crystal Lake Park District 2017-2022 Strategic Plan Available for Public Review
- Oct 19 Institute Day Trip-Main Event Bowling Transportation from Woodscreek Elementary
- Oct 19 October Board Meeting Administrative Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake
- Oct 20 Institute Day Trip to X-Treme Wheels Transportation from Woodscreek Elementary
- Oct 20 Haunted Home Decorating Contest (Registration Deadline) Administrative Office, One E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake
- Oct 20 Let's Dance Band at Park Place Park Place, 406 W. Woodstock St, Crystal Lake
- Oct 21 Cake Decorating: Halloween Woodscreek Park Building
- Oct 21 Unfinished Craft Object Drop In Grand Oaks Recreation Center, 1401 W. Route 176, Crystal Lake
- Oct 22 Babysitting Training Admin. Bldg, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake
- Oct 25 Haunted Home Decorating Contest (Judging)
- Oct 28 Truck or Treat Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Drive