JOB and Volunteer OPPORTUNITIES
explore our jobs! join our team!
Looking for an opportunity to have a positive impact on people's lives while building a fun and dynamic career?
The Crystal Lake Park District offers that and so much more! It takes different types of skills, knowledge and talent to serve the recreation needs of the community. Whatever your passion, schedule or experience, we have a job for you! Every employee plays an important role in the work we do.
Why the Crystal Lake Park District?
We believe in enriching ALL lives through recreation, parks and nature. We take pride in knowing that our jobs make a difference in the community. Our supportive and fun work environment are at the core of our values. We offer opportunities for career advancement and work with just about any schedule that accommodates your busy life.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance Package (Full Time Employee Benefit)
- Generous Paid Time Off Package (Full Time Employee Benefit)
- Pension (Full Time and Part Time working more than 1,000 hours per year Employee Benefit)
- Employee Discounts & MORE!
Online Employment Application Form
If you are interested in applying for employment, you must complete the online job application. You may access your online job application at any time to make changes or to apply for different positions.
We receive hundreds of applications annually and regret that each season has a limited number of positions are available. Please note: that our job opportunities change frequently, so it's important to visit our website often. Those candidates whose qualifications meet our needs will be contacted.
Click below to view Vacancy Categories (left column). When viewing vacancy, click 'show/hide' to view job description.
Notes about Employment with the Crystal Lake Park District
Update: Aug, 2023
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. All positions are governed by Park District Operating and Employment Policies and Procedures.
All potential employees must successfully complete the required background checks and submit to monthly random drug testing as a condition of employment. Any additional information not covered here, position description or an applicant requiring a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process may contact the Rocio Arreola-Escutia, Human Resources Manager, at 815.459.0680, ext. 1202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Student Opportunities
Park and Recreation Internships
The Crystal Lake Park District offers two internships per year for university students in their senior year majoring in Parks, Recreation and Tourism. The selected interns will be expected to commit to 40 hours per week for 14 weeks. This program is designed to provide the intern with firsthand knowledge and understanding of public recreation agencies. Students will be provided the opportunity to integrate and apply knowledge, theory and understanding from the academic setting to the working environment.
Interns are allowed to witness and assist in many of the different job aspects that public recreation agencies provide and will work with and for different supervisory staff during their internship.
- Program planning as it relates to starting new programs, supervising current programs and evaluating past programs. Direct leadership skills will be emphasized as students actually conduct programs and special events.
- Facility management that includes programming, staff scheduling, supervision, maintenance, marketing and public relations.
- Customer relations as intern become involved with countless number of patrons and guests.
- Park administration, which includes budgeting, finance, policy formation, and public and professional meetings.
Field Study Work
The Crystal Lake Park District also offers field study work for university students in their junior year.
Please submit a resume and a letter of recommendation from the University.
Rocio Arreola-Escutia, Human Resources Manager
Crystal Lake Park District
1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
For more information call 815.459.0680 ext. 1202
volunteer at the Crystal Lake Park District
Enhance your life while giving back to the community through various volunteer service opportunities with the Crystal Lake Park District. Volunteers are essential to the success of our programs and special events. Get started by completing an application!
- Give back to and strengthen the community
- Connect with others and meet new people
- Develop new skills and broaden your experience
- Feel a sense of achievement and purpose
- Good for your mind and body
- Career exploration or advancement
- To have fun!
Who can volunteer?
- Individuals and Families - choose an activity or special event based on your interests and availability.
- Businesses and Civic Organizations - build a community's public image and improve staff morale by volunteering as a group.
- Teens and Social Groups - Boys and Girls 14 years and up are invited to gain valuable work experience or fulfill service hours for school or other organizations. Youth younger than age 16 must volunteer with a parent or legal guardian. Any volunteer under the age of 18 must have a parental signature to volunteer.
What is the Volunteer Time Commitment?
This is up to each individual. Some volunteers may wish to volunteer on a regular basis in the same capacity while others may wish to volunteer for the occasional special event.
The list below is a partial list of opportunities:
SPECIAL EVENT VOLUNTEERS
Throughout the year, the Crystal Lake Park District hosts large scale special events that rely on groups of volunteers. Event volunteering opportunities are suitable for parent/child pairs, business groups, service organizations, as well as, individuals.
NATURAL AREA VOLUNTEERSThe natural areas found throughout the Park District offer a variety of opportunities for volunteers to make a difference by helping the environment. Individuals or groups can benefit from the rewarding and education experience of restoring our native ecosystems.
Butternut Nature Preserve
Volunteer Co-Stewards: Judi Stuck, Nicole Griffith
Woodland and prairie preserve located on a branch of the Kishwaukee River
Work Days: Frequent Thursdays 10 am-Noon, TBD
Meet in parking lot on Butternut RoadSterne's Woods and Fen
Volunteer Steward: Brice Alt
One of the highest quality wetlands in the state
Work Days: 4th Sunday of the month, 9-11 AM, meet at Sterne's Woods and Fen Parking Lot
Veteran Acres and Wingate Prairie Nature Preserve
Volunteer Steward: Jim Wigman
One of our popular sites, this has been formally dedicated as a sanctuary for native plants and animals
Work Days: 1st and 3rd Saturday of the Month, 9-11 AM, every Tuesday, 2-4 PM
Meet at the Nature Center
For questions on volunteering for the Crystal Lake Park District, please contact Rocio Arreola-Escutia at 815.459.0680 x 1202 or email@example.com.