Information for Crystal Lake Park District Residents Who Own Boats
All residents of the Crystal Lake Park District are eligible to boat on Crystal Lake. Boat Launches are available at Main and West Beaches for residents who purchase an annual boat launch key card from the Crystal Lake Park District. The Village of Lakewood and the City of Crystal Lake have a joint agreement for regulating and patrolling the lake.
Requirements for Boat Access on Crystal Lake (Crystal Lake Park District and Lakewood Residents Only):
- Review Rules & Regulations
- Purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal from the Crystal Lake Park District
- Purchase a Boat Launch Key Card
Lake Usage DecalResidents of the City of Crystal Lake, the Village of Lakewood and the Crystal Lake Park District are eligible to purchase a lake usage decal for launching both non-motorized and motorized watercraft on Crystal Lake. These decals are required for any watercraft on Crystal Lake. Revenues from the decals will support lake safety and ecology work. Available at the Crystal Lake Park District Administrative Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake, beginning April 1, 2024.
2024 Boat Launch Key Card
Park District Residents Only (May 1, 2024-Apr 30, 2025)
Park District resident boat owners must purchase a new key card each year to use the Main or West Park launch ramps. All watercraft must enter through boat gate. Daily admission fees apply to the permit holder and all guests wanting to use the beach and/or swimming areas at Main or West Beach.
Current Boat Launch Key Holders: 2023 keys will be deactivated April 30, 2024. Renewals begin May 1, 2024.
Fee: $90 (Ages 18-59 ); $45 (Ages 60 +) Replacement Key: $15
Required Documents: 2023 gate key; registration form (see below); current boat registration and proof of residency.
Keys are available for purchase at the Crystal Lake Park District Administration Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue (Hours: M-F 8:30-5 pm; or drive thru Sat 9:30am-12 pm (Apr-Aug)
SPECIAL EVENTS / BOAT LAUNCH EXCEPTIONS
We would like to make you aware of annual events that effect the MAIN BEACH boat launch area:
Fireworks -2024 info TBD
- Front gates will open at 9 am.
- No one is allowed to reserve tables until after 9 am. Items on tables before 9 am will be removed.
- For everyone's safety, picnic tables are not to be moved to another location of the park.
- Regular Resident and Non-Resident admission applies until 2:30 pm. Starting at 2:30 pm, admission is $5/person.
Movie in the Park - 2024 info TBD
- Park south of pavilion closed TBD
- Boat launch closed TBD, West launch open
- Shoreline boat parking prohibited 3 pm - 10 pm
Info for Paddleboard & Kayak Owners
In order to place your watercraft (i.e. jet skis, kayaks, stand up paddleboard inflatables, etc.) on Crystal Lake, from either a public or private launch site, the following criteria must be met:
- You must be a resident of the City of Crystal Lake, the Village of Lakewood or reside in the Crystal Lake Park District's boundaries.
- The watercraft's registration must reflect the resident's name.
- You must purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal (non-motorized watercraft $20) at the Crystal Lake Park District Administrative Office
In order to launch onto Crystal Lake via the Main or West Beach boat launches, please purchase a Boat Launch Key Card at the Crystal Lake Park District Admin Office
Please note: launch of any watercraft via Kamijima Park is prohibited.
In order to purchase a boat launch key, you must provide all the following documents in person at the Crystal Lake Park District Administrative Office:
-Current Illinois Driver's License
-Application Fee: $90 (Ages 18-59 ); $45 (Ages 60 +) Replacement Key: $15
Dry Storage Info
2024 West beach Watercraft Dry Storage
Storage space is available: April 1, 2024-October 31, 2024
Park District Residents Only
The Park District has boat stalls available for rental in the West Park dry storage compound. Registration for dry storage spaces begins April 1 at the Park District Administration Office. Stalls will be leased on a first-come, first-served basis. One stall per household.
2024 Boat Rental Reservations
BOAT RENTAL AT MAIN BEACH
Boat House Direct Line: 779.994.7060
- Life jackets included in rental fee and are required.
- Last rental goes out 1 hour prior to park closing. View Main Beach Hours of Operation
- Free parking in the Main Beach parking lot.
- Boating on beautiful Crystal Lake is fun and affordable through the Park District boat rental operation at the Main Beach Boat House. Fees are on a per boat basis.
- Present your reservation receipt at the gate for admission. Swim area access not included.
All renters must sign a Boat Rental Waiver which is available at Boathouse or print in advance.
- 12 - 15 year olds may use boats with a signature of a parent/guardian who is present on the beach.
- 16 - 17 year olds may use boats with a signature of a parent/guardian.
- For sailboat rental, participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the sailboat.
Online reservations are recommended to ensure your choice of boat type and time slot. Walk-up reservations are available at the boat house.
Use the "Search" tab and select "Boat Search" under the Boat Rentals heading (button above takes you directly to this option)
In the Rental Search Criteria box, enter the date you wish to reserve your rental and enter the type of boat you wish to rent. Select "Search" and a list of boats and the availability in one hour time slots will appear.
You will be asked to pick the family member that will be renting the boat, put a check mark in the box and "Continue". Select one family member for the reservation. Complete the waiver form agreement and proceed to checkout and finalize your purchase.
If you have a credit on your account, the system will automatically apply the credit towards the purchase price. You will view this information during the check-out process.
- Prior to making your first reservation, you will be prompted to set up a household profile in the online registration/reservation system.
- Please double check your reservation date prior to completing the online transaction.
- If you need to reserve multiple boats at the same time or a rowboat for 4 hours or more, contact Stephanie at email@example.com.
Type of Boat
Capacity: 4 people or 564 lbs
Capacity: 4 people or 705 lbs
3 people or 400 lbs
Single Kayak: 1 person, 300 lbs
Double Kayak: 2 people or 500 lbs
Triple Kayak: 3 people or 500 lbs
Stand Up Paddle Board
Capacity: 1 person, 300 lbs
Dragon/Duck Paddle Boat
Capacity: 5 people or 1400 lbs
* To rent a sailboat, you must present a Park District sailing card, which can be obtained by taking our sailing program, or one from another reliable organization. Sailboat participants under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the sailboat.
** Half price, per hour, if rented for a minimum of 4 hours.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Renters must follow wake/no-wake hours, speed limits etc.
2024 Sailing Lessons
During the summer season, the Crystal Lake Park District offers Private Sailing Lessons and Group Sailing Lessons.
Anyone wishing to rent sail boat from the Crystal Lake Park District Boat House must present a sailing card from a Crystal Lake Park District course, or another reputable organization. Sailors may also present ownership papers of a sailboat to rent a boat on Crystal Lake. Passengers do NOT need to present card, only person sailing.
Group Sailing Lessons
Enjoy the carefree life of a sailor! We provide the boats, life jackets, sailing partner if needed, and expert instruction. Upon completion of this class, students must demonstrate the basic skills and knowledge of sailing to receive a Park District Sailing Card, which is required for renting sail boats on Crystal Lake. Water shoes and beach attire are required.
Questions? Email Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Private/Semi-Private sailing lessons
Ages 13 & Up
Beginner (4 hours total)
Resident Fee: $150 Individual / $250 Couple
Non-Resident Fee: $195 Individual / $325 Couple
Experienced (2 hours total)
Resident Program Fee: $75 Individual / $125 Couple
Non-Resident Fee: $98 Individual / $163 Couple
To schedule lessons, first complete the Private Lesson Request Form and submit at least one week in advance of your preferred start date. For additional information, contact Stephanie at email@example.com.